Miss Schultz Parent Letter
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Dear Kindergarten and First Grade Families,
Kindergarten students have been learning about the letters Ll, Mm and Nn this week. They have been reading a poem about crayons and they completed a book too. Ask them to read to you. They should be familiar with color words and number words.
The First Grade Houghton Mifflin Series book this week was Pumpkin, Pumpkin. We are at the end of our first reading unit so the kids will be taking their first magazine test to find out whether or not they have grasped the concepts discussed during reading. The test will be given next week.
I am just about finished putting my guided reading groups together. I am planning on beginning guided reading next week. I have included information about guided reading for those of you who have a child that will be participating. Most of the kindergarteners will not begin guided reading until the spring.
We will be celebrating Halloween on Tuesday, October 31st from 11:45 until 3:00. Your child’s costume needs to come to school in a bag. If there are weapons that go with the costume please leave them at home.
Enjoy the weekend!
Questions to ask your child this week are the following:
1) Can you tell me 3-5 words that begin with the letter Ll? Mm? Nn?
2) Can you read the following words? red, orange, yellow, green, blue
1) What coins would you use to make 35 cents? 15 cents? 28 cents?
2) Can you tell me a sentence by using the contraction word I’m? How about the contraction word I’ll?
3) Can you tell me the stages of how a pumpkin grows?